Monday, October 25, 2010

Do You See What I See?

Many times in society we have a rare opportunity to see the manifestation of our hopes and dreams. The unfortunate thing about time is that it passes without taking the breath it took from you. As quickly as the image has come it is gone and is considered something you saw once upon a time. Essentially, the culmination of who you are has been intense preparation for that moment and your experiences are predetermining factors for the emotion that image has created, but, unfortunately, time waits for no man. 
Little did we know in 1814 that a small wooden box would completely defy the concept of time. Pictures and photography have allowed us the unique ability to capture the moments we see in our head. Much like the eye, it is essentially the culmination of who you are that prepares you to take the perfect picture, but it is your experience that predetermines the emotion a photograph creates. The other day I had the honor of stepping inside of the lens of a soul I’ve never met and it was my experiences that created this verbal manifestation of a stranger’s place in time. Thank you for sharing this picture with me.


The beauty in this photo is a collision of so many beautiful things. I see a delicate balance between aspects of life that the entire world labors to preserve. The environment is a treasure that nations have created policies to protect and children have been the focus of developing and well developed countries alike; they are the common thread between us and we would die to protect them. In this picture I see the utopia of both of these entities. The protective arm of the young girl mimics our desire to protect both entities, but it is the joy in her face that expresses the benefits to society if we succeed. 
The harmony between these two entities is so fluid that you would never assume the magnitude of strife and debate that centers around the preservation of them. The delicate touch of the leaves on the young girl’s face makes it seem as though nature is playing in the same game that the two children are playing. Maybe it is “Hide and Seek” or “Tag”; who knows, but I dare not interrupt. I dare not disturb the innocence created in the scene. It even feels wrong to know that the girl is looking at you; to know that your presence may have disturbed them already. It makes you want to say, “Don’t worry about me sweetie. Just keep playing.” 
As an adult I have learned that time waits for no man and every moment that passes I am relieved that this image is still here, but nervous that it will end at any moment and become my past. Can’t you imagine her turning to look at you and then swiftly turning around the tree leaving behind a fainting giggle? Maybe she did, but because of photography I am able to stare at this moment of time until my experiences manifest another interpretation. For these few moments in time I can relish in my defiance of time. Time waits for no man, but who says it doesn’t wait for a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment