Saturday, January 22, 2011

America I Am: Inspired








I experienced America I Am: The African American Imprint (AIA) in Los Angeles for the first time and I was inspired. The first artifact forecasted my experience to be one I had never felt before and I was not disappointed except by the fact that I did not have enough time to see all of the artifacts. Luckily my 2nd trip a few days later afforded me the time I desired. Though 5 hours is not needed to complete the exhibit it took 5 hours to feel all I had hoped to experience in my second visit. This was prior to attending the “America I Am: A Conversation with Tavis Smiley and Cornel West” at the National Geographic Museum in Washington, DC.

I heard the AIA exhibit was coming to DC and something in my soul began to move much like a metal fragment as it senses a magnet is near. By attending the conversation with Dr. West and Mr. Smiley, I heard what I expected. “Over 300 artifacts that have never before been assembled together…12 galleries…4 theatres…” I did not expect Dr. West and Mr. Smiley to entice me to visit AIA again.

Photo by Carol H. Feeley
Mr. Smiley explained that he assembled this exhibit in order to share the history of Black people with America and to show the world what W.E.B. Du Bois saw when he asked, “Would America have been America without her Negro people?” Dr. West explained how the AIA exhibit highlights the grand achievements of Black people and was sure to point out that the election of President Barack Obama is a part of this exhibit, but is not the only substantial achievement of Black people. Displayed.  “He is A fulfillment, he is not THE fulfillment [of the dream]”. Still, when Mr. Smiley mentioned that The Doors of No Return, Frederick Douglass’s clothes, Rosa Parks’ arrest card and Mohammed Ali’s boxing gloves were sitting across the street from us something inside of me moved. I felt as though that magnet was directly beneath my feet and I knew I had to experience AIA again.

Like Nothing You’ve Seen Before

For those who have never seen The Doors of No Return I caution you not to underestimate the encounter as they are the doors through which slaves journeyed to America. You may find yourself imagining the hands, feet and soul of your great, great grandfather gripping the hinges as he is dragged through to the other side. As I stood in front of the doors this is all I could think of.

Imagine being able to see freedom with one swivel of your head and to feel a strain in your neck reminding you that you are not walking in the direction of freedom; knowing that at some point you will have to turn to face your future. Visitors are asked not to touch the doors with their hands, but I encourage you to touch it with your hearts. It is important that we do this, so when we are called to vote for legislation, which disproportionately imprisons young African Americans, we will know the anguish in their hearts as they walk through their “Bars of No Return”. Do not be surprised if you feel that strain in your neck again.

The next time you loose your phone and feel your connection to the world is lost you may begin to thank God that your detachment from society and your family is only temporary. Do not be surprised if you feel a strain in your neck. The next time someone mentions the name of a black leader you are unfamiliar with, do not be surprised if you feel a strain in your heart telling you to research their accomplishments. Once you pass The Doors of No Return and enter into the exhibit there is no return to ignorance. Do not be surprised if you feel a strain in your neck.

The HIStory of African Americans in America may start with slavery, but the legacy begins in Africa, as does the AIA exhibit. With each step you begin to understand why America would not have been America without her Negro people.  The AIA exhibit displays the strength of the Negro people. This makes the exhibit empowering for all people, but to see strength in the foundation of America makes the exhibit encouraging for all Americans.

Throughout the conversation Mr. Smiley stresses that this is an exhibit we have to take our children to. I agree. The exhibit is uplifting and this is experience is imperative for Dynamic Virtue readers. We are the leaders of tomorrow and we must understand how we are designed to achieve greatness for our people. If slavery did nothing else for African Americans, it bred us to be the best our genes could produce. Every African American alive carries the blood of the 50-80% of slaves who survived the Middle Passage and the 2/3 that survived the plantations. The AIA exhibit will challenge every negative stereotype young people believe about themselves and we must do this before those images have an opportunity to take hold of our imaginations. As you continue on the AIA journey you will understand how slaves literally and figuratively built America. This journey will make you feel patriotic and galvanized.

The AIA exhibit compiles the African American imprint in a way that demands more than the typical semester, page or paragraph in a history book. It is an interactive journey to remind guests of how influential African Americans are to America. The conversation with Dr. West and Mr. Smiley made me understand why I will be visiting the exhibit once again. The AIA journey is like a sigh of relief after 300 years of hard work and a moment of appreciation after a job well done. It encourages me to keep going even though I know there is much work to be done. That feeling may be why I am drawn to the exhibit once again. Some times the weight of my liability slows me down, but as I walk through the AIA exhibit I experience relief.

In the black community there are those among us who are jaded. Some feel the struggles of our ancestors were in vain and believe the best days for African Americans are behind us because the “game” is rigged against us.  There are also those who feel “we have arrived” and the work is done. For those of my brothers and sisters who can say, “I Am one of those people” I urge you to visit the AIA exhibit as it will change your mind.


Your “I Am Unable” will become “I Am Queen Nzinga.
Your “I Am Silenced” will become “I am Dizzy Gillespie”
Your “I Am Lost” will become “I Am American Religion”
Your “I Am Impoverished” will become “I Am Madam C.J. Walker”
Your “I Am Confined” will become “I Am Frederick Douglass”
Your “I Am Jaded” will become “I Am Able”

When you finish your journey through America I Am: The African American Imprint, you will be able to say with confidence, “America, I Am!”



Submitted to FreshXpress January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment